The WBC and the WBA have agreed in having the same names for all 17 weight divisions, and final confirmation is pending from the IBF. This will clear the so many different names which create confusion among, fans, commissions, media, and all involved in the boxing industry.
Following you will find the history of each division, as well as the final chart with the names.
Throughout the 19th century and edging into the 20th century, the eight original divisions were formed. These were: flyweight, bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight, welterweight, middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight.
• Flyweight created on April 24th, 1916 in Liverpool, England. The first recognized title fight was Jimmy Wilde TKO in 11 rounds against Zulu Kid, in London.
• Bantamweight created on Jun 27th, 1890. First fight: George Dixon RTD in 19 rounds against Nunc Wallace, in London.
• Featherweight created on July 28th, 1891 in San Francisco, California, USA. First fight: George Dixon KO in 5 rounds against Abe Willis.
• Lightweight created on January 14th, 1887 in Lawrence, Massachusetts, USA. First fight: Jack McAuliffe KO in 28 rounds against Harry Gilmore.
• Welterweight created on October 30th, 1888 in Fort Foote, Virginia, USA. First fight: Paddy Duffy KO in 17 rounds against William McMillan.
• Middleweight created on July 30th, 1884. First fight: Jack “Non Pareil” Dempsey KO in 22 rounds against George Fulljames.
• Light Heavyweight created on April 22th, 1903, in Detroit, Michigan, USA. First fight: Jack Root won by UD in 10 rounds against Charles “Kid” McCoy.
• Heavyweight officially created on February 7th, 1882 in Mississippi City, Mississippi, USA. First fight: John L. Sullivan KO in 9 rounds against Paddy Ryan.
3 Divisions were introduced after the original 8, which are:
• Super Featherweight created on November 18th, 1921, in New York, USA. First fight: Johnny Dundee won by disqualification in 5 rounds against George “KO” Chaney.
• Super Lightweight created in 1922, with Pinky Mitchell designated as champion by popular vote, but in the first fight on September 21st, 1926, Mushy Callahan won by points against Mitchell.
• Super Welterweight created on October 20th, 1962 in Portland, Oregon, USA. First fight: Denny Moyer won by points against Joey Giambra.
The World Boxing Council has been, is, and always will be a pioneer of insuring boxers fight at their proper weight rather than trying to make dangerous dehydrating sacrifices, or vainly attempting to overreach themselves.
The following divisions were introduced by the WBC over the years as a safety measurement, shortening the weigh difference between one division and another making boxing safer to the contestants.
• Minimumweight created at the 1986 WBC Convention in Aruba. First fight: Hiroki Ioka won by UD in 12 rounds against Mai Thonburifarm on October 8th, 1987 in Osaka, Japan.
• Light Flyweight established at the WBC’s 1973 Convention in Salvador, Brazil. First fight: Franco Udella won by disqualification against Valentin Martinez on April 4th, 1975 in Milan, Italy.
• Super Flyweight created during the WBC’s 1979 Convention in Casablanca. First fight: Rafael Orono won by unanimous decision in 15 rounds against Seung Hoon Lee on February 1st, 1980 in Caracas, Venezuela.
• Super Bantamweight created during the 1987 WBC Convention in London. First fight: Rigoberto Riasco TKO in 9 rounds against Waringe Nakayama on April 3rd, 1976 in Panama.
• Super Middleweight created during the WBC Convention in London, England in 1987. First fight: Ray Leonard KO in 9 rounds against Don Lalonde on November 7th, 1988 in Las Vegas.
• Cruiserweight was created at the WBC’s 1978 Convention in Reno, Nevada. It was amended to 200 lbs., at the WBC’s 2004 Convention in Phuket, Thailand. First fight: Mate Parlov draw in 15 rounds against Marvin Camel on December 8th, 1979, in Yugoslavia.
Official Names for Boxing Weight Divisions – 2015
DIVISIONS POUNDS KILOS
1. Minimumweight 105 47.620
2. Light flyweight 108 48.988
3. Flyweight 112 50.802
4. Super flyweight 115 52.163
5. Bantamweight 118 53.524
6. Super bantamweight 122 55.338
7. Featherweight 126 57.153
8. Super featherweight 130 58.967
9. Lightweight 135 61.235
10. Super lightweight 140 63.503
11. Welterweight 147 66.678
12. Super welterweight 154 69.853
13. Middleweight 160 72.575
14. Super middleweight 168 76.204
15. Light heavyweight 175 79.379
16. Cruiserweight 200 90.719
17. Heavyweight 200+ 90.719+